Wednesday, November 7, 2012




I love teaching, I really do. Students report that I am like a "breath of fresh air" and I believe nursing education to be my calling as it truly brings out my best. But I have to question myself when I consider going into another $40,000 of student loan debt for a doctorate (on top of my $30,000 MSN) in order to gain full-time employment in this career that only pays me $46,000 in some states up to around a maximum of $65,000 in others. Why are schools allowing such manufactured faculty shortages when there are numerous excellent MSN prepared faculty who want full time employment? Does one truly need a PhD to teach basic nursing courses? I would argue against a PhD teaching basic nursing as the preparation for that degree involves statistics, business management concepts, research design and application, curriculum review, and other decidedly non-bedside nursing topics. The PhD and DNP are important for advancing the profession of nursing, but if there is such a shortage of faculty and the PhD is far removed from the bedside, I have to wonder at the motives of those search committees who only want PhDs to teach full-time. And further, if the PhD is the best faculty member, then why are colleges hiring so many MSNs and BSNs to teach as adjuncts? Typically my students receive at least half of their instruction from part-timers with BSN and MSN preparation. Seems like a very double standard. What do you think? What's the solution?

No comments:

Post a Comment